Saturday, October 26, 2013

Hello Again ...

I have to admit that my Raspberry Pi bramble has been gathering some dust lately, primarily because I've been off taking classes again.  I've spent a lot of tie on two very good classes that I would recommend to anyone:
  • CS188.1x - Artificial Intelligence through edX.  The class is taught by Dan Pieter from Stanford.  It's an excellent class.  I enjoyed it a great deal, and learned a lot of things about machine learning that I just didn't pick up from the vision-based classes that I've had before.
  • Coding the Matrix: Linear Algebra Through Computer Science Applications.  This class is taught by Philip Klein at Brown University, and it's offered through Coursera.  It is another fine course.  I took this for two reasons - 1) I never really learned linear algebra the way I needed to as an undergrad, and 2) it was all in Python.  This is my 3rd course now that is Python based, and I can now say that I'm reasonably competent at it as a language.
I've met the minimum requirements in all 3 of my classes so far to get a certificate in each.  It's hard though when things get busy not to abandon a class because there isn't enough time. I've come to the realization that I probably won't do a lot more than meet the minimum requirements in every class I take, even though I would like to spend the time to get high grades in each class.  This doesn't diminish the value I see in taking each class.  All 3 of my classes have been great ways to sharpen my skills for the next steps that I want to take in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment