Friday, September 21, 2012

Building a Parallel Pi (1)


So far things are progressing according to plan.  The instructions that professor Cox has provided are nicely accurate, and to the point.  There is not a lot of wasted motion here.  There are a few observations about the construction process that I have:
  • The Pi doesn't boot sometimes if you put the SD card in before giving it power.  Pulling the card and re-inserting with the power already on seems to make things work.
  • Mounting the Pis on a board is a practical thing to do early in the process.  Right now, the one Pi that I'm working from just hangs in mid-air between the CAT5 and HDMI cables - a sub-optimal configuration.




  • The stuff that you find in regular retail stores varies a lot in price and capability.  Since the total cost will be a multiple of the per-node cost in this configuration, things can add up quickly.  My full configuration will be 8 nodes, and although I ordered all 8 Pis at once, I've decided to buy the rest of the parts as-needed, until I'm sure that I'm getting the right stuff.  
  • For each node you're going to need an SD card and a power cord.  So far I've chosen 16 GB cards, and this seems like a good size to give a reasonable amount of local storage at each node.  I've bought 2 cards so far - one for $14.99, and one for $19.99.  The cheaper one claims to be fast, and the more expensive one claims to be faster.  I do notice that the apparently faster one seems to allow the Pi to boot and run faster, but that's just a subjective impression.  Most common 16 GB SD cards out there seem to cost between $29.00 and $39.00, which seems pretty high.  I'm going to buy the other 6 cards that I need online, and get something that is a good balance between speed and cost.  The power cords are a similar mixed bag.  I've paid $19.99 for each of the 2 USB/micro USB cords, and $9.99 for a 2 port charger to plug them into.  The charger price seems ok, but I really think I can do better than $20 for a 3 ft. long USB cord from an online source.
From an actual configuration standpoint, I've installed the Fortran compiler, and am ready to build MPi to provide the message passing interface that we need for the parallel part of this project.  So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment